Falling on Ice is hard on my knees !!!

Chicago is the sort of place that can get really depressing during winter. You can't move anywhere or roam around because of the snow all around the place and the extreme chill factor in the winds. So at the first semblance of spring , I decided to roam around downtown Chicago. Walking along with a friend who was new to Chicago , I walked into millenium park and found people skating on an ice rink. Skating has always fascinated me ( Katrina Witt effect :) and basically looks cool) and I decided to take to the Ice. After buying skates , I wore them with not much difficulty . And then I stood up and realised that standing straight by itself was an achievement. Walking awkwardly and taking small steps ( with one leg behind the other) , I finally made it to the ice. Walking on the rubber surface was tough but walking on Ice was a totally different level of difficulty. I was finding it difficult to stand even after holding on to the iron railings along the rink. And all the while small kids ( read 5 year olds ) where whizzing past me , as if it was normal. One kid avoided me with panache as she drifted slightly to my left and skate past me , as if I was part of an obstacle course. Hearing my dad's voice in my mind ( kizha vizhunda dhaan kathuka mudiyum ) , I embarked on the arduous journey of going around the rink by holding on to the rails on the side. Lap 1 was uneventful but difficult. With the confidence of having completed level 1 , I decided to do Lap 2 without the help of the rails. Bad Mistake. I didn't realize it initially when I started skating ( which was when this picture was taken) , but when I tried turning towards my left , I felt my legs trying to do a split. And then without much effort , I managed to fall gracefully ( if there is anything graceful about falling) on my knees. Falling on the ice knees first , is no fun. With help from some 'good Samaritans' , I managed to complete a few more laps but a fall was never far away on the ice. Falling in love might not be hard on your knees but falling on ice is definitely hard on your knees.

No comments: